On Feb 13, 2:05 pm, felix <fe...@neuro.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi Felix,

> being a new Sage user under Mac OS X, I spent a whole day trying to
> get the examples for using compiled code
> fromhttp://www.math.washington.edu/~jkantor/Numerical_Sage/node10.htmlto
> work. Trying to make sense of the error messages and googling for
> fixes, I did not realise the most simple explanation - until I ran
> "which gcc" in the terminal and got no result. I simply didn't have
> gcc installed! Unless I'm blind, there is no hint to check if gcc is
> installed in an obvious place on website or in the documentation. Of
> course, the problem was fixed easily by installing XcodeTools.
>
> I think it would be very helpful for new users to have a remark in the
> readme or on the download page, that sage does not include gcc, but
> requires it for certain features. Maybe this is so obvious, that
> nobody thought of it before.

Yeah it is ;). But as Sage moves away from it more dev oriented
clientel this ought to be handled better. I have made this

and I think the Sage should even check for the existence of an
appropriate compiler if possible and error out sensibly when no
compiler is available. This might be trickier for f2py, weave and
ctypes, but we will do our best to get this fixed and might even
complain upstream about the problem.

> Otherwise, Sage seems to be a great piece of Software, keep on the
> great Work

Thanks.

> Felix

Cheers,