On Feb 20, 8:42 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:34 PM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > This error is completely normal since we do not build the multi
> > threaded libraries.
>
> OK, this doesn't matter.  But the build does fail.

Yes, but the build of ATLAS worked. This has nothing to do with the
restart code. If you look at the 3.3.rc3 debian32.out you will see:

<SNIP>
ATLAS install complete.  Examine
ATLAS/bin/<arch>/INSTALL_LOG/SUMMARY.LOG for details.
<SNIP>
Finished building ATLAS
<SNIP>
make[3]: [install_lib] Error 1 (ignored)
make[3]: Leaving directory `/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.3.rc3/spkg/build/
atlas-3.8.3/ATLAS-build'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.3.rc3/spkg/build/
atlas-3.8.3/ATLAS-build'

[make see to have installed the libs, but then things blow up with]

ATLAS failed to build because your system is too heavily loaded to
obtain accurate timing.
Please restart the build by typing make, when the load on your system
has decreased.

I do not understand why, but this seems certainly unrelated to the
restart code, i.e. do you have a log where my restart code actually
fails?

> >> I've re-opened trachttp://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/1641
> >> which is about auto-restarting the build, and posted some comments
> >> on that ticket.
>
> > Ok. The suggestion you made about restarting spkg-install being called
> > repeatedly does not work since you either need to call configure with
> > a special parameter or call make again.
>
> How can running the current spkg-install from scratch again possibly
> not work?  Well I implemented it (see spkg note below), and am testing
> it now to see if it works.

This is not what the ticket in question does. If you restart configure
without a special options it will do the tune all over again from the
start and I wanted to reuse the tune as much as possible. Since it
failed once it isn't not that much more likely it will work the next
time. As mentioned above the failures you saw are unrelated to the
restart code AFAIK.

> > The restart only happens up to
> > five times - anything else and your machine is misconfigured.
>
> In the above example the restart happened exactly once, then the build
> failed later and I got an error about the machine being too loaded.
> The script thus didn't successfully do the job it is supposed to do.

Examine the log. This is something else in the ATLAS build.

Cheers,

Michael