On Feb 20, 8:59 pm, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 8:42 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> > In the above example the restart happened exactly once, then the build
> > failed later and I got an error about the machine being too loaded.
> > The script thus didn't successfully do the job it is supposed to do.
>
> Examine the log. This is something else in the ATLAS build.

Ok, I figured it out I think: on debian32 this happens:

   STAGE 2-1-5: GEMV TUNE
make -f Makefile INSTALL_LOG/dMVRES pre=d 2>&1 | ./xatlas_tee
INSTALL_LOG/dMVTUNE.LOG
make[3]: *** [build] Error 255
make[3]: Leaving directory `/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.3.rc3/spkg/build/
atlas-3.8.3/ATLAS-build'
make[2]: *** [build] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.3.rc3/spkg/build/
atlas-3.8.3/ATLAS-build'
ATLAS failed - round 1 - sleeping  5 minutes

Then the restart kicks in and finishes the build.

Restartig build for the first time
make[2]: Entering directory `/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.3.rc3/spkg/
build/atlas-3.8.3/ATLAS-build'
make -f Make.top build
make[3]: Entering directory `/space/wstein/farm/sage-3.3.rc3/spkg/
build/atlas-3.8.3/ATLAS-build'
cd bin/ ; make xatlas_install
<SNIP>

Because at some point there was  a failure the makefile errors out at
the very end even though it all worked. So the script you wrote is
likely to hit the same bug unless you completely clean out the ATLAS
build directory.

The fix here is to figure out which file causes the tuning failure
message in the end and to get rid of it before restart.

Thoughts?

> Cheers,
>
> Michael

Cheers,