Hi Carl!

> How about s.size()?

We had removed it from our list of alternatives, because we will be
using the concept of "size" elsewhere in combinatorics (the size of a
tree, of a permutation, and more generally of a combinatorial object),
and we could run into a conflict later on. However, we do not have an
explicit example yet of such conflict, so this option is not closed.

> I don't particularly like s.card(), because the abbreviation is too
> opaque --

Ah, is it? Hmm, well, maybe. Short poll: who finds card opaque?

> it would be nice if somebody seeing the method for the first time
> has a good chance of guessing what it means.

Definitely.

Thanks for you votes, and please continue voting!

Cheers,
                                Nicolas

PS: having cardinality already used in many other places is certainly
a good point.

http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/