On Feb 26, 2:57 pm, François Bissey <fbis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, mabshoff wrote:

<SNIP>

> Hi Michael,

Hi Francois

> I haven't time to look into that before the release date of sage-3.4,
> but at least with 3.4 he may have binaries.

Ok, AFAIL we (== William & me) do not plan to build Gentoo binaries
since William never got Gentoo to install cleanly when he tried a
months or so ago and hence there is no VMWare image based Gentoo test
box in the Sage build farm.

> I suggested an _unsupported_ work around - and I made it clear it was -
> and I mention it here so you know that's how he got a working sage-3.3
> (he seems happy right now) in case he has further problems later on.
> And also for any other gentoo-er who wants a work around.

Ok, seems reasonable.

> I suggested using clisp-2.47 from gentoo then creating a link
> $SAGE_LOCAL/bin/clisp.bin to /usr/bin/lisp edit the deps file to remove
> the mention of clisp and then continue with the normal make process.
> For info it compiles and pass make test successfully.

I have a badly hacked together clisp-2.47.spkg for my Sparc Solaris
build, but it does not have all the patches in it that we used for
clisp 2.46. I don't want to spend any more time on this since I have
wasted too much time on clisp instead of doing the ecl switch, but I
would suggest you write up a snippet for a workaround I can stick into
the 3.4 release notes so that we have an "official" solution for this
problem we can point people too. I am just surprised how many build
failures we have gotten from Gentoo users.

> Francois

Cheers,

Michael