Hi Fidel,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Fidel <fidel.barr...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Absolutely, getting a "small" patch into Sage is a great way to get
>> more familiar with the whole process before going off and doing a
>> larger project. And we like small and incremental improvements over
>> "patch bombs".
>>

> Where can look for "small" patches to work in, or at least to look at?
> I would really like to get familiar with the whole process first.

You might want to have a look at this site:

http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/report/10

It contains tickets with patches, so you can picket any ticket and
view the attached patches.

>> > I will post the code as soon as I document it so it is more
>> > understandable.
>>
>> Good. Do you know about doctesting in Sage?
>>

> I have no idea about what doctesting is. I'll try to look it up.

It's like the automated module testing feature of Python. In Sage,
doctesting just mean that you document your code with, well...,
documentation as well as lots and lots of examples on how to use your
code. These examples are doctests and would be automatically tested
before each release of Sage. In the docstring of a function, method,
etc., doctests should be placed under a heading like so:

def my_function(args, more_args):
    """
    # Explain, document my_function here.

    INPUT:
        args -- # explain the parameter args here
        more_args -- # explain the parameter more_args here

    OUTPUT:
        # Explain the output of my_function here.

    EXAMPLES:
    # put your doctests here
    # should include lots and lots of examples on how to use my_function()
    """
    # do something
    # return something, if appropriate

Hope these comments help.