On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:21 AM, David Harvey <dmhar...@cims.nyu.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 7:27 am, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I would guess that sooner or
>> later we will accept GPL3 packages into Sage, while still maintaining
>> the GPL2-only version for a while (which will become more and more
>> obsolete as GPL3 upstream packages evolve). Time will tell.
>
> I hope this is true.

Sage already includes numerous GPL3 packages, such as GSL and GNUTLS + friends.

> My worry is that Sage does not have the developer
> resources or willpower to maintain two separate versions. I think it
> will get harder and harder, especially with all the forking activity
> going on.

You need not worry, especially if you think about what the GPLv2-only
version of Sage is actually for.

>> Let's clear up another misconception here. GPL v3+ software is NOT
>> banned from Sage. This is explicitly stated online.

>Where does it say this?

Just look at Sage right now, which includes several GPLv3+ components.
 It is definitely a misconception that GPLv3+ software is banned from
Sage.

> The comments on this thread suggest that Sage
>will not upgrade to the next release of MPFR solely because of the
>license change, which suggests that a de facto ban on GPL3 code is in
>place.

That's not true.  The comments on this thread suggest that there will
be a version of Sage that includes only the GPLv2+ version of MPFR,
and due to us actually caring about the quality of all versions of
Sage we release, we will make an attempt at least to backport
bugfixes.

> > It just doesn't get included in the GPL v2+ version of Sage,

> What do you mean, "GPL v2+ version of Sage"? Where can I download this
> version?

You can't.

>  As far as I know, there is only one Sage download available,
> and it does not include any GPL3 code.

It does.

 -- William