Jason Grout wrote:
> Alex Ghitza wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Jason Grout
>> <jason-s...@creativetrax.com <mailto:jason-s...@creativetrax.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     seber...@spawar.navy.mil <mailto:seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
>>      > Carl
>>      >
>>      > Mathematica seems to have been successful with this approach.  I'm
>>      > curious what were the reasons for its disapproval.  Perhaps it was
>>      > feared it was error prone?
>>

>>     Along with the other reasons people are giving, it may be helpful to
>>     remember that it is may be less error-prone in MMA.  For example,
>>     parentheses in Sage can denote function calling as well as grouping,
>>     while they only denote grouping in MMA.  With implicit multiplication,
>>     func (x) and func(x) are both valid in Sage, but have different
>>     meanings.  In MMA, they both are multiplication, like you'd expect from
>>     math.
>>

>> ???  so you're saying that in Mathematica sin(x) means sin times x?
>> That's not what I'd expect from math...
>>
>> I must be misreading what you wrote.
>>

> Nope, you're correct.  That's a nice thing about Mathematica.  Function
> calls are always with square brackets, parentheses are purely a grouping
> construct.  Curly braces are always lists, and double square brackets
> are indexing (but that's just syntactical sugar).  System functions
> always use camel-case.  I really like the consistency in mathematica; it
> makes it easy to learn and predictable.

Nevertheless I *hate* the Mathematica syntax!

See my rant from long ago: Why Mathematica is not my language of choice!

An example from the OEIS I happened to see today:

%t A055254 A055254[N_] := Count[ #, True] & /@ Map[OddQ, IntegerDigits /@ (2^# &
                /@ Range[N])] (This generates a table of the number of odd
digits
                in the first N powers of two.) - Douglas Skinner
(skinnerd(AT)comcast.net),
                Dec 06 2007

(how easy to learn and remember) versus

%o A055254 (PARI) a(n)=sum(k=1,ceil(log(2^n+1)/log(10)),floor(2^n/10^(k-1))%2)
(Benoit
                Cloitre, Feb 10 2006)

Not to speak how easy it will look in pure sage!

Cheers,

Jaap