Hi Hazem,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Hazem <hazem.biqa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not really familiar with Reduce, and am not a CAS developer. I am
> a kind of "interested observer" and I try to be helpful by collecting
> info about existing CAS systems and ideas and submitting links to the
> experts - you guys.

In my opinion, something like what you're doing is actual contribution
to the development of Sage. Developing a piece of software isn't
always about writing software specification and actual (coding)
implementation. It's also about maintaining and writing documentation
catering towards various types of users, and also be open to
information on issues related to CAS. What I'm trying to say is that,
thank you very much for your contribution, especially in the way of
gathering links and pointers as you've done.

> Since I am alot more familiar with physics/engineering/numerical
> applications, I wonder if you think it would be a good idea to
> maintain a version of Sage geared towards these types of applications,
> especially now that Scilab and Reduce have been released as GPL-
> compatible.

I don't think that maintaining another version of Sage is the way to
go at the moment, since many developers have enough on their hands and
little time to implement them. What I think is appropriate is to write
a Sage interface to your favourite physics/engineering/numerical
system, package your interface as an spkg, and announce your spkg on
the sage-devel mailing list. A list of current spkg can be found at

http://www.sagemath.org/download-packages.html

The Sage Developer's Guide has some info on producing new spkg, please
see especially the following section

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_spkgs.html

--
Regards