On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:20 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know quite where you heard it, because it's not what I wrote,
> especially the part about Bourbaki. However, if a leading
> mathematician like Serre expresses an opinion about something, I think
> it's worth paying attention.  For what it's worth, Knuth also seems to
> dislike the use of blackboard bold fonts in printed material, and he's
> probably thought more about technical typesetting than all of us put
> together. I think it's dangerous to dismiss his view without further
> consideration.

Not sure who is that Knuth you mention, but a bit of googling reveals
that he seems to be picky about fonts (e.g.
http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/cm.html).

Seriously, I can't find a quote of him about the use of blackboard
bold, but I think I read something about it (maybe in his math writing
class notes?)

> People became so used to seeing it in lectures and so on that they
> created computer fonts to replicate it.

I still remember using these in early 90s (before amsfonts, I guess):

\def\R{I\!\!R}
\def\Z{Z\!\!\!Z}

> By the way, widespread use is not a convincing argument; many people
> use Z_p to represent the integers mod p, and I will *not* agree that
> this is acceptable usage.

I'm starting to think this is a lost one...

Gonzalo