On Mar 25, 1:41 pm, Rob Beezer <goo...@beezer.cotse.net> wrote:
> Hi John,

Hi Rob,

> I've been following this thread, and read the discussion on Trac at
> #5610.  I've been partial to blackboard bold, but after the discussion
> here am considering going back to bold.  In my open-source linear-
> algebra book, this will be trivial, since I can go into a single *.sty
> file and make the change at clearly isolated locations.  Consistent
> use of macros throughout the source mean that my PDF, XML, jsMath
> versions of the book will all reflect the change in the next version.
> So I'm all in favor of what you are trying to accomplish here.

Great.  I don't think you're misunderstanding me, but just in case,
let me clarify one thing: I'm not trying to persuade everyone to
change to mathbf. The default situation in Sage is to use \mathbf (as
William has explained), and I'm trying to codify this, and also
provide a way to globally change it for people who object to it.

> It strikes me that the people who care (and its clear from this thread
> that some of us care) might be most comfortable with editing a tex
> style file to make changes.  Second-choice would I guess be to edit
> some sort of Python file or notebook cell that would call methods of
> latex_customize.  It would sure be nice if there was just one place to
> go, make changes once, and then see them reflected in documentation,
> notebook, etc forever more.  I am suggesting maybe there is a way
> around the need to go hand-edit preambles, etc.  But maybe that is not
> technically possible, and I haven't studied the patch carefully.  I
> certainly understand the complexities of the myriad delimiters and
> configuration files.

When you build the documentation, you are running Python, not Sage (as
far as I can tell), so I don't know how to pass the appropriate
customizations.  A command-line switch would probably do it, but I'm
afraid that it might be a bit clunky.

> Thinking as I write, I guess I am arguing for a single point of
> control, which could be made usable by all the various components of
> Sage - documentation, notebook, online help (notebook and command
> line).  Since all these items start life with a call to sage on the
> command-line, why can't they absorb the right TeX macros at the right
> place, or inspect/emit information from latex_customize?  Or maybe
> latex_customize could be used to write a *.sty file in certain
> situations?  But maybe I'm just paraphrasing what you are currently
> struggling with?  ;-)

Maybe a setting in an init.sage file?  How do you use that file?  Can
you just put 'latex_customize.use_blackboard_bold(True)' in it?

> Secondly, are you proposing just using the \Bold{} macro to handle
> only the mathbf/mathbb decision, or is there a danger \Bold might get
> applied places where the blackboard fonts would be inappropriate?

I intend it to be used only for those circumstances where reasonable
people might want to switch from one choice to the other, so I tried
to change \mathbf to \Bold only for ZZ, RR, QQ, CC, and perhaps for P
(projective space). I certainly left other uses of \mathbf{blah} and
\mathbb{blah} in the code. I probably missed some cases, and I
probably changed a few I shouldn't have, but do my intentions sound
right? (Answering you literally, some people would suggest that
blackboard fonts would always be inappropriate :)

  John