Hi Rob,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Rob Beezer <goo...@beezer.cotse.net> wrote:

> Hi Minh,
>
>> I'll be working on a proof-of-concept integration with Moodle. For
>> this, what I have in mind is that, say, one is managing a maths course
>> and wants to create a set of self-tests for students to take as the
>> course progresses.
>
> I stumbled across this page last night for unrelated reasons.  Check-
> out the discussion and links in about the middle of the page under the
> heading "Undergrad Computer Aided Assessment".  it all feels familiar,
> lots of talk about open-source, located in Oz, but no mention of
> Sage. :-(

Unfortunately... I've used MapleTA in the past and I can say from
experience that it's a mess to even install. When one talks about Sage
being messy because it supports over 70 standard maths packages from
numerous upstream projects, a first impression is that Sage would be a
mess to install. But what's so difficult about downloading a source
distro, un-tar it, and invoke "make"? Yes, this is a rhetorical
question :-)  In case one's system is some exotic combination of OS
and hardware, installing Sage can be a pain unless mabshoff is
available at 1800-sage-devel or 1800-sage-support :-)

I've worked with MapleTA; installing on a Windows machine was quite
painful enough, let alone on a Linux box. Another real pain for me at
least was learning another language just to be able to write maths
questions. So first I had to learn the Maple language, then another
language to write questions that uses the Maple kernel as a symbolic
engine. Another frustration is the occasional server
crash/unresponsiveness and one then has to go over the joy of
installing again.

I'm rambling here, I admit. But undergraduate students like myself
deserve better, especially for students at small universities with
little internal/external fundings for teaching and learning programs.
What I'm trying to say is, "A long sigh".
--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen