On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM, pang <pablo.ang...@uam.es> wrote:

>  Hello:
>  I'm now learning moodle as admin, and I would like to use another
> kind of moodle integration, just to control access to the sage server
> and to organize the notebooks. I have the following reasons:
>
>  1) Security: I've been told sage servers can be taken down if
> universal access is allowed. If I want a secure enough sage server
> without constant monitoring and my limited admin experience then I'd
> have to create one accounts for each student myself and mail them the
> passwords or what?. Moodle has many ways to deal with this problem,
> like the password for enrollment, so that students can create their
> own accounts.

Others can comment much more expertly than I. However, I can tell
you that several people have posted security suggestions to the ssage wiki.
You might want to check there.

>  2) Organization and sharing: sage notebooks aren't organized in
> folders and they aren't attached to a calendar. They all appear in a
> single long list. If I want to place a notebook at a particular moment
> of a course, I can think of two approaches:
> * Using the sharing capabilities of sage: I would publish a notebook
> in sage, then students would edit a copy or create other notebooks,
> and share them with me. Occasionally, I would publish some of the
> students' notebooks. This all happens outside moodle, though I could

I think if you publish a notebook session then it is "owned" by your
account. The student would have to create a new worksheet to share it
with you. When I give an assignment, I just tell the students to share it
with me or download their sws file and email it to me.

> post links to the notebooks in the moodle pages. E.g., a student could
> write a post in a forum with a link to the notebook she's just
> published.
> * Upload the sws files into moodle. Then if students want to show me
> their notebooks, they can either send their sws files as assignments,
> or place their files in the public forums if they want to share their
> work with the other students. They'd have to keep two separate tabs,
> one for moodle and the other for sage, each with a different login.
>
> This is all possible, but some integration would make it simpler, and
> reduce dramatically the number of clicks. Something like this: a
> student logs into moodle, goes to the course page, sees the new
> activity "linear algebra with sage" for this week, clicks on it to go
> directly to the sage notebook and saves it when she's done. I could
> see the list of notebooks of any one student, and edit them to add
> comments. When a student sees the list of her notebooks, she knows
> which ones I have modified. Just this would make a difference for me.

I don't know if this is possible or not but I think it woul dbe great if you
could post any experience you have on sage-edu.

> I'll be teaching with sage next year for the first time, so please
> tell me if this makes sense to you.
>
> Regards,
> Pablo Angulo
>
> PS: google doesn't allow me to send emails normally for some obscure
> reason. I have to login and post from the web browser: does any of you
> have this problem?

No I have not heard of that problem before. However, it appears that you
replied to a sage-edu post on sage-devel. (My emailed grouped this
message in the same thread as the others anyway.) I wonder if that
is the problem somehow?