Hi Gustav,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Gustav Delius <gustav.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is indeed a very interesting idea. Luckily something like this
> already exists, except that it is not using the whole of Sage but only
> Maxima. Take a look at stack.bham.ac.uk.

I remember reading about STACK in 2008, but probably that was
something else. Thank you for refreshing my memory, and pointing out
the URL.

I think I haven't clearly explained my application area. With regards
to symbolic maths, Maxima is very matured as far as I know. However,
when I tried to study undergraduate cryptography using Maxima, there
lies a problem. It was very difficult as a beginner to both learn the
crypto theory and experiment with it using Maxima. At least in
cryptography, I think Sage just makes me happy. And for that, I thank
Martin Albrecht, David Kohel, among other contributors to the crypto
module of Sage.

The other things I find interesting are elliptic curves and number
theoretic cryptosystems. In the context of an undergraduate crypto lab
session, one can use Maple to study the RSA cryptosystem and design
exercises to get students to factorize "large" integers in breaking
variants of RSA, e.g. Koblitz's kid crypto. But using Maple for
factorization in such a lab session doesn't fully convey to students
the necessity of time and speed in modern number theoretic
cryptosystems. Pari/GP is very good at this sort of thing and some
maths educators have used it to teach crypto within number theory
courses. For example, William Stein during his time at Harvard
University, and I think John Grove at The University of Melbourne.

Having said that, I know that at least someone has used both Axiom and
Maxima in teaching undergraduate crypto:

@inproceedings{McAndrew_2008,
 author = {Alasdair McAndrew},
 title = {Teaching cryptography with open-source software},
 booktitle = {SIGCSE},
 year = {2008},
 pages = {325-329},
 crossref  = {DBLP:conf/sigcse/2008},
}
@proceedings{DBLP:conf/sigcse/2008,
 editor = {J. D. Dougherty and Susan H. Rodger and Sue Fitzgerald and
Mark Guzdial},
 title = {Proceedings of the 39th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on
Computer Science Education, SIGCSE 2008, Portland, OR, USA, March
12--15, 2008},
 booktitle = {SIGCSE},
 publisher = {ACM},
 year = {2008},