There has been some discussions about it at:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/tree/browse_frm/thread/304a39b13cf27990/e7437b268ad918c9?rnum=1&q=notebook+folders&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fsage-devel%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F304a39b13cf27990%2Fe22461daf01e3a1c%3Flnk%3Dgst%26q%3Dnotebook%2Bfolders%26#doc_af0fd228b7ec06d8

It seems that developers are more oriented towards labels (like gmail)
than folders, and I personally agree with this choice.

Another thing discussed in the same thread is coloring...

I'm wondering if the code dependent coloring in the notebook has been
considered as a possible enhancement. This would be really useful to
improve notebook usability.

At the very end, I'm afraid we would be implementing something like
Notepad++ (just an example) within the browser... Isn't there any
firefox plugin or stuff like that to directly provide this?

Thanks

Maurizio