This one works pretty fast on my ancient machine:

http://marijn.haverbeke.nl/codemirror/contrib/python/index.html

I tried to add it but it broke the frames around the cells (those blue
frames that show you the active cell). I didn't bother to look
further, but that shouldn't be unresolvable.

Also maybe SAGE should get some features from https://bespin.mozilla.com/
which is also open-source (and does have syntax-highlighting).

Rado