William Stein wrote:
>   2. Porting:  We have an intense sequence if "Lisp days", both
> workshops and 1-day long IRC events, where we go line-by-line through
> the Sage library and rewrite everything in Lisp.   As we go, we'll
> make sure that the rewritten code is always at least as fast as the
> original code (this shouldn't be a problem, because of LispX's
> extremely good profiling and dynamic optimization features).   I hope
> everyone here is willing to pitch in significant time to this effort.
> If you're not, I would really like to know what your concerns are.

In the transition phase, I think we should first write a Python
interpreter in Lisp, say, called Lython.  That way we can actually just
run the current sage in Lisp.  Of course, this project would be far more
widely-applicable than just Sage, and would likely give huge speed
increases.  Plus we'll be able to leverage the masses of programmers and
scientific software already in the Lisp community---we may not have to
port any of our libraries at all!

As such, I suggest we find a student willing to do this as a Google
Summer of Code project.  I believe the applications are due any day now,
so said student will have to hurry to flesh out all the details involved
in writing Lython.  However, I think this project has an extremely high
chance of succeeding.

Another project worth considering for another student is writing a
backend to LLVM in Lisp.  I believe this would let us just compile all
of our C libraries into Lisp code.  I don't have enough experience with
LLVM to gauge the feasibility of this project for a student in the next
few months, but if it was feasible, I'm sure it would greatly ease the
porting of, say, ATLAS, to Lisp.

People have long said that Python gets most of its interesting bits from
Lisp.  It's time to move from the child's sandbox into the real world
and just use Lisp straight out!

I'm glad William finally saw the light.  I don't think there's any doubt
that the most advanced math system for its time was Macsyma.  I don't
think it was a coincidence that the owners of Macsyma also made Lisp
machines.  Clearly, the way to get ahead of the crowd, at least
eventually, is to port things to Lisp and then run it on a Lisp machine.
  I mean, I think we just target being alternatives to Matlab, Magma,
Mathematica, and Maple only because the commercial Macsyma is out of our
league---until now.  I'd love to be where the commercial Macsyma is in
30 years!  It'll take a lot of hard work, but it'll be worth it!

Thanks,

Jason