For a long time, I've been complaining about the interface between
Maxima and Sage.  It doesn't just make calculus slow, it slows
everything down -- every time I take a logarithm or a square root in a
numerical algorithm, Maxima slows me down.  I now realize that the
right solution has just been staring me in the eye for the entire
time!  Maxima wasn't the problem -- Python was!  If we were able to
call Maxima functions directly, this bottleneck would just vanish.
Perhaps we should have been listening to RJF all along -- perhaps our
core should not be lisp, but Maxima.  In the rare instance where
Maxima isn't the fastest way to implement things, then we could
certainly do some more radical optimization in lisp.

I'd never have believed I'd say this... but let's do it!  I support this 100%!

Jason -- I think that Lispy is a better name than Lython.  Lython
sounds so... dishonest.  But I'd much rather see a Python-to-Lisp
compiler than a Python interpreter.  That should make our migration
procedure much faster -- maybe we could get 'er done by next year!