Hi,

why is the notebook trying to execute "sage" that it finds in the
path, rather than another copy of the sage that it is running?

The following patches fix that (for SPD):

http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/f0d66f283c4f398927a7e60caeaf9cabfdca77c3
http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/43762487aaa0efdfc107b4e0586e3ac9e097e3b5
http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/d89a444326c723ac7cf993d54f9a80c769a39535
http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/352be7322447fca9c6ee684550be87562b277dd5

so the fixes are easy, but my question is why it was done that way in
the first place? The problem with that is that if the "sage" in path
points to a different version of sage than I am using to run the
notebook, then the wrong sage is going to be used.

I understand the motivation for this, if the second instance of Sage
is run over ssh on a different machine. It then doesn't make sense to
execute "SAGE_ROOT + '/sage'", since on the other machine it will most
likely be a wrong path. But if I am running on the same machine, is
there any rationale to call a different Sage?

If there is, could I fix it by introducing a variable to notebook()
that would control this?

Thanks,
Ondrej