On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:21 AM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 12:09 am, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> why is the notebook trying to execute "sage" that it finds in the
>> path, rather than another copy of the sage that it is running?
>
> Because sage-env assures that the right sage script is called, see
> below.
>
>> The following patches fix that (for SPD):
>>
>> http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/f0d66f283c4f398927a7e60c...http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/43762487aaa0efdfc107b4e0...http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/d89a444326c723ac7cf993d5...http://github.com/certik/spd_notebook/commit/352be7322447fca9c6ee6845...
>>
>> so the fixes are easy, but my question is why it was done that way in
>> the first place? The problem with that is that if the "sage" in path
>> points to a different version of sage than I am using to run the
>> notebook, then the wrong sage is going to be used.
>
> Well, that is because you probably broke something with your
> changes :). The "fix" you listed has been proposed in the past, but
> was turned down since it isn't a bug per se. SPD is a different
> story.
>
>> I understand the motivation for this, if the second instance of Sage
>> is run over ssh on a different machine. It then doesn't make sense to
>> execute "SAGE_ROOT + '/sage'", since on the other machine it will most
>> likely be a wrong path. But if I am running on the same machine, is
>> there any rationale to call a different Sage?
>
> It cannot happen since sage-env sets PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that
> the sage script from SAGE_ROOT gets picked up, i.e. from sage-env
>
> PATH="$SAGE_ROOT:$SAGE_LOCAL/bin:$PATH" && export PATH
>
>  If SAGE_ROOT is already set sage aborts:

Ah, so I think I smell where the problem is --- I broke the SAGE_ROOT
stuff. When I fix it, which I have to fix anyway, thing should start
working.

>> If there is, could I fix it by introducing a variable to notebook()
>> that would control this?
>
> Do you still want to do that? The fewer config options there are the
> better it is ;)

No, I just didn't know where the problem is.

I am breaking stuff from time to time now, but once I figure out how
to customize Sage, it should then be really easy to maintain it. I
just keep all changes as a set of documented patches in a git "spd"
branch and original Sage sources in the master branch, so with each
new Sage release, I just update the master branch and then just rebase
(or merge, that's probably better to preserve history for debugging)
my spd branch.

Ondrej