Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:09 PM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> it would be good if you contributed a feature to Sage 3.4.1 to check
>> the release tour at
>>
>>   http://wiki.sagemath.org/sage-3.4.1
>>
>> and edit what is there already in case it can be improved or add
>> something in case it is missing.
>
> Can someone please help me showcase the features of #5450? In
> particular, it would be good to have some images of 3-D plots that the
> ticket is meant to fix/add/feature. My net connection is pretty poor
> so I can't directly download Sage 3.4.1 or upgrade to it. For most
> features, I would just use sage.math. Doing a 3-D plot would give me a
> jmol object saved under the directory $HOME/.sage, but I can't figure
> out how to view 3-D plots using sage.math.

I think of that patch as more of a bugfix than a new feature, so i
didn't think it was necessary to mention in the release notes.  However,
it should make the plotting quite a bit faster (you can plot lots of
points in not very much time, but it's harder to plot lots of spheres).
  Maybe one of the best applications would be a 3d vector field, where
you want to plot lots and lots of vectors very quickly.

So maybe the plot_vector_field3d function would provide a good example
(see http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2646).  I've posted a
picture there.  Basically, that command (the last function defined in
the comments on the ticket) should provide a lot more responsive picture
than before, because it now plots line3d objects instead of full arrow
objects.

I've published an example here: http://sagenb.org/home/pub/474/

You can get the picture by clicking on the Get Image link next to the 3d
plot after adjusting the angle to whatever you want.

For what it's worth, that plot_vector_field3d at #2646 just needs some
documentation, and then I think it's ready to go into Sage too.

Jason

--
Jason Grout