chris wuthrich wrote:
>  * In one of my files i have a line "power_series = series". This
> produces the full docstring of series to appear twice in the
> documentation, once under series and once under power_series. How can
> I exclude the alias ?

According to

http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/autodoc.html

the autodoc directives

.. autoclass:: pAdicLseriesOrdinary
   :members: series, is_ordinary, is_supersingular

might work in Sphinx v0.5 and

.. autoclass:: pAdicLseriesOrdinary
   :exclude-members: power_series

in Sphinx v0.6.  However, I believe the current version of builder.py
does not scan for custom directives when it auto-generates the .rst
files.  I don't know if it's OK simply to put them in a docstring.

Another possibility is to add to builder.py an auto-skip-member()
handler that skips certain methods, along the lines of

http://groups.google.com/group/sphinx-dev/browse_thread/thread/852fbec28bc4ba15/719dbcf762c9db18?#719dbcf762c9db18

except that it scans the first part of a __doc__ attribute for some phrase.

I can't spend any more time on this, however.

>  * The docstrings become much longer now that we have to add
> additional empty lines. This is not very nice when using foo? or tab-
> completion in the notebook. Also the `` `` are annoying there. Is it
> not possible that the printing of the docstring there is simplified ?

I think these are subsumed by this ticket: