On May 2, 1:02 pm, Robert Dodier <robert.dod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe a different example is needed; Maxima can now
> compute such integrals.

Thanks Robert,

I did see on the Maxima discussion list back on February 20
that CVS Maxima could do these integrals.  However, I checked
Maxima 5.18.1 on my Mac laptop and the following returns
unevaluated:
integrate((x^m * (1 - x)^n * (a + b*x + c*x^2))/(1 + x^2), x,0,1);

Am I doing something wrong?  As I recall, version 5.17.1 asked
questions about the parameters.

I've been a fan of Maxima for years and have long recommended
it to folks who have wanted a computer algebra system but didn't
want to pay for Maple or Mathematica.  This is the second time
I've posted a problem integral to this group only to have you
report that it's fixed (or being fixed).  Thanks a lot for your work
on Maxima.

Of course, there will always be problems that one tool can do
that another cannot.  I, for one, will happily continue to use all
types of mathematical software.

Mark