On 05/10/09 21:58, mabshoff wrote:
>> Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkCommonPythonD.dylib
>>
>> ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the
>> -multi_module option
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Ok, check out
>
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/g...@gcc.gnu.org/msg05799.html
>
> for a probable solution. It might then expose the next issue, but I
> guess this is step by step ;).

Well, I have seen this when I got the error first time (google is our
friend) but didn't believe the answer would work for the simple reason
that VTK is really well tested.  I didn't want to mess with compilation
arguments before testing other options.  Regardless, I did try a manual
link with -Wl,-single_module and it didn't work -- I got different
errors.   I could try -fno-common but that would have to be done for the
Python build and not the VTK build.  It appears that the problem is not
with VTK but the Python build since the linking fails for the Python
library.  The VTK libraries are linked to each other quite nicely.

>> I guess I could retry with a non-framework build but it really takes a
>> while to build on my machine and all previous attempts failed.
>
> Sure. Let me know if the above works.

I've tried the above and a few other things too.  I'm still all ears
though, so keep the suggestions coming.

>>> Another problem is that if we changed the default for OSX we would
>>> need to force a rebuild of every other python component in Sage, so
>>> since we don't have any problems as it is seems plainly not worth it.
>> But isn't everything anyways built from source?  So how would this
>> affect anything? In my case nothing else seems affected -- I rebuilt
>> Python and installed that over the existing build. I didn't test too
>> much apart from VTK related scripts though.
>
> Well, it doesn't matter for builds from source too much, the real
> problem is when a user runs -upgrade for Sage.

Sorry for being dense. You mean when the user runs -upgrade with a
non-framework install?  Suppose a user has a fresh install, would the
framework build cause problems when this user does a -upgrade?
IOW, is this only a problem for those with older non-framework builds?

Thanks.

cheers,
prabhu