I just remembered the mails below. I think, I have confused matlab
with mathematica.
Well, "A free distribution of the world's most widely used open source
mathematical software that builds easily from source"
If this states "most widely used opensource which builds easily from
source" then you are right.
But, if this states "most widely used opensource" and at the same time
"builds easily from source" then for other software, some info for
showing it is difficult to maintain for some platforms can have a
standpoint. If it is easy to build from source, I can build it on
anywhere I like. If don't like the ones in your mails, which are
harder to be maintained at those platforms, than it will not be easy
to build it from source.
Anyway, just an idea.
Hope it helps...

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:09 PM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On May 15, 1:57 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
>> This might interest some.
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/brows...
>>
>> where someone is questioning the commitment of Wolfram Research towards
>> Solaris. There are currently no replies to it, but it will be
>> interesting if anyone from Wolfram Research responds.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Well, if you look at
>
>   http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/roadmap.html
>
> you will see a couple other interesting platform support problems:
>
>  * No Solaris support by Mathworks on Intel CPUs - ever! I remember
> some discussion about people basically running Mathworks products in
> Linux zones on Solaris instead, but obviously once you have to use
> emulation to run software on your preferred OS it is the end or at
> least not a good sign, i.e OS/2 and Windows should have taught
> everybody a lesson.
>  * No more new Solaris/Sparc Mathworks releases after the end of 2009
>  * We beat them to 64 bit OSX support - at least one of the major
> projects ;)
>  * No new releases for any OSX/PPC after the end of 2007
>
> Contrast that with Maple from
>
>   http://www.maplesoft.com/futureplatforms.aspx
>
> where they state that they will release future Maple version also on
> Solaris 9/10 on Sparc. It seems they never had a Solaris/x86 release.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael