On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 6:55 PM, maxthemouse<adamwebb_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 3:57 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In case anybody cares about the optional Sage polymake spkg, I've
>> moved it from optional to experimental, since it doesn't work at all.
>>  See below.    Also, note that the fricas spkg no longer works (unless
>> the user has clisp systemwide) because we switched to ECL for our
>> lisp.  I've tested and all other optional spkg's work on sage.math.
>>

> Hi,
> Is there a plan for fricas?

I emailed the people (Waldeck Hebisch and Bill Page) who made the Fricas spkg,
and I really hope they will make an ECL version of it.   However, if
you want to try
that would I'm sure be appreciated.

> Another thing that does not work is "sage -
> lisp" which gave the clisp prompt. I found this rather convenient
> since I could just use the clisp within sage. Is there any plan/
> interest to switch the this lisp interface to ecl? Does ecl use
> readline?

For now you can at least start sage then type

sage: !ecl

to start ecl.  It appears to not make any use of ecl.  I don't know if
this is just
a compilation problem or an ecl limitation.

The Sage <--> lisp interface already works fine:

sage: lisp.eval('(+ 2 3)')
'5'

I'm not sure why %gap works but not %lisp:

sage: %lisp
ERROR: Magic function `lisp` not found.
sage: %gap
  --> Switching to Gap <--
gap:

That should be consider a bug.

OK, two tickets:

  (1) make "sage -lisp" run ecl:  http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6287

  (2) make %lisp work and run ecl + readline mode:

 -- William