I care about the polymake spkg, and I know a few users who do too.  It
would be nice to fix it; the last time I tried to install it I got
some errors I didn't understand at all so I'm not sure what exactly
the problem is.  Its probably out of date anyway, so it might be best
to start from scratch if it is to be fixed.

Although the current included polytope code is somewhat disjointed,
buggy, and incomplete, it is progressing and getting closer to
polymake's functionality.  I think this actually makes the polymake
spkg more important since it helps clarify what functionality needs to
be added.

-M. Hampton