On Jun 23, 2009, at 4:24 PM, Nicolas M. Thiery wrote:

>> Indeed.  The current trac naming convention really strongly
>> encouraged
>> you to "do the right thing", which is to always open a trac ticket
>> for
>> whatever you're working on.
>
> Definitely. That also why I 100% support having the ticket number in
> the patch name.

+1

>> I think the following is a counterexample to "The trac_ prefix does
>> not bring any useful information."
>
> I still think it's not really, and it is just making the name longer,
> but I don't really care either.

I don't see the use for it either, but it's not a huge issue for me.

>> "Starting the patch name with the ticket number defeats tab
>>   completion when sorting through a large number of patches,
>>   typically in a mercurial queue. It is a life saver for me to be
>>   able to do hg qpop categories-fra<tab>"
>>
>> This could perhaps be solved via technical methods, e.g., some
>> improvement to how the tab completion works.
>
> If it was only within Sage, yes. But doing this in all shells and file
> browsers that our developers are using does not quite seem like an
> option to me.
>
> I am not saying our convention is optimal; I was just pointing at it
> for the record. Actually, for most case, it is indeed too verbose, and
> we often shorten the description part. But I really do want to insist
> on having the description *first*.

I really like having the ticket number first, it makes it easy to see
(given an ordered list of patches) what patches belong as part of a
single ticket. E.g.

6201-heegner.patch
6201-referee-fixes.patch

I do think every patch should at least include the ticket number and
*some* kind of descriptive word/phrase.

- Robert