This thread has gotten long and there are many subjects embedded
within.

One of the problems I've had with the notebook implementation is that
the sage process supporting the notebook computation blocks on the
pipe between itself and the twistd server which spawns it.  This means
that one can't build an asynchronous event handler without using
threads.

More conventional web server architectures use a callback style for
invocation making it much easier to splice in other events for
handling by the main thread (this is the general asynchronous
programming model and the heart of how Twisted works)

Perhaps it is a foregone conclusion that this approach will be taken
in the rewrite.  if not, I'd like to suggest that it is an important
consideration.

-glenn