I glanced at the document and at William's response.  Here are a few
observations.

1. No native Windows version seems to me to be a big issue, but it has
never been
clear to me how hard it is for an ordinary user (not admin) to install
emulation software,
on a perhaps shared machine to run (or compile??) anything, much less
Sage.

2. The reason for the recommended choice of language is to avoid
languages with "long tool chains".
  I suppose that if you insisted on compiling a Lisp each time you
downloaded it,
instead of just downloading the executable version, some of them might
have long tool chains.
But the typical Lisp executable -- does it have ANY tool chain? Does
gcc have a long tool chain? If you
do not require bootstrapping (compiling) gcc on a bare machine
(lacking any gcc), why should you require bootstrapping a lisp without
a lisp executable?

3. As I've indicated previously, the mission statement is, in my view,
not clear. The phrase "viable free open source alternative" is too
vague.  What is a viable alternative ?  How does this goal differ from
Maxima, Axiom, Reduce, Jacal, ...
or for that matter, Octave?

Is Maxima a viable free open source alternative? Would it be one if it
were written in Python?

I think that your goal is really to build the most inclusive darn
"computer algebra system" you can, within your own self-imposed
restrictions regarding languages, licensing, distribution,
bootstrapping, shared responsibility, and especially the use of
externally-provided free modules.