Interesting to know.  I've only been using Solaris for a little over a
year, and I've been more familiar with blastwave.org and the new
opensolaris source juicer repository ( jucr.opensolaris.org ).

I think it would be more useful to distribute sage for solaris as a
zone with a preconfigured (which could be easily tweaked of course)
notebook set to run on boot than as a package, though precompiled tars
are always welcome.  I use the precompiled sage 3.4.2 for solaris
daily... Last I checked though, I had some issues getting the notebook
running in opensolaris (non-global zone or otherwise).

As for Virtualbox, I've been using it for a while now and it is pretty
slick - the 3.0.x series also sports pretty good 3d (opengl and some
directx, for windows) acceleration pass-through.