On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM, David Kirkby<drkir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/25 Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>:
>
>> I've learned to never underestimate the ignorance of computer users.
>> It's not that they're all unintelligent, but the number of people
>> that just want to use a computer vastly outnumbers the number of
>> people that want to learn anything about computers. Often they just
>> want to spend their time learning about different things (just as I
>> want to drive a car, but personally have no interest in repairing
>> one). "Download this file and double-click on it" or "go to this site
>> and create a username/password" is fine for most people, but as we
>> learned with 7zip, anything more, even with a clear README.txt, is a
>> surprisingly high barrier.
>>
>> Of course, even now, there are lots of windows users (at least it
>> seems to be the largest download).
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to create a setup.exe which someone
> downloaded, clicked on the setup.exe, which then installed the vmware
> software, set up Sage, and *everything* with them doing no more than
> they would with any other windows application?

No, that would be illegal and a violation of the vmware terms of use.
However, it would be possible to do something like that using one of
the open source virtualization solutions (e.g., Virtual Box), or using
AndLinux.   I recently started playing around with Virtual Box again,
and think it's made a lot of improvements in Version 3.x, and that we
should consider switching to it from vmware for the sage windows
virtual machine.

Using Sage via virtualization in windows has many drawbacks and also
many  advantages.

William