Hi,

There is an article on slashdot today about the CentOS project admin being
AWOL:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/07/30/130249/CentOS-Project-Administrator-Goes-AWOL?art_pos=4
*
"Lance Davis, the main project administrator for CentOS, a popular free
'rebuild' of Red Hat's Enterprise Linux, appears to have gone AWOL. In an open
letter <http://www.centos.org/> from his fellow CentOS developers, they
describe the precarious situation the project has been put in. There have
been attempts to contact him for some time now, as he's the sole
administrator for the centos.org domain, the IRC channels, and apparently,
CentOS funds. One can only hope that Lance gets in contact with them and
gets things sorted out."

*One of the comments:

"Indeed, however afaict centos is a volunteer project. When the shit hits
the fan in more important aspects of someones life then such volunteer
projects become the last thing on someones mind. Hell for all we know he
could be dead or hospitalised.

The real problem is the lack of an organisational structure that can survive
it's founder dissapearing. Sadly this is all too common in FOSS projects.
It's made worse by the fact that such projects are usually done remotely and
so often noone on the project will know any of the person who dissapeared's
real life family and friends."

Somebody responds: "I'm in a online TF2 clan [online video game], and we
have the Real Names, addresses, phone numbers, and work phone numbers, of
the 10 highest ranking members. The top two members have shared all
important info so a absence of one is annoying, but completely survivable.
Perhaps its because we have so many active duty military in our group, but I
would expect everyone to take such basic precautions. Please don't tell me
my TF2 group is more organized than CentOS, (Please!)"

------

As some of you may have noticed, Sage recently had a similar situation, in
that in late May Michael Abshoff went AWOL -- he posted one message in May
that he was taking a break for a month, and has not been heard from since.
   Since he was doing essentially all release management, porting, trac
account creation, etc., we are fortunate that him going AWOL hasn't impacted
the Sage project very badly, in that with a bunch of work we were able to
adapt.    That said, I think it would be really beneficial for people
involved with Sage to think through other scenarios and come up with a way
to make our project more robust.   For example, what if *I* was AWOL for a
while?    There are about 3-4 other people with admin privileges on most of
our hardware resources, and they are physically in the UW math department
server room (so professionally hosted and unaffected by me being AWOL).  The
DNS stuff (sagemath.org) is all 100% admin'd by me via godaddy.com, so I
should find a way to fix things so that if somebody else needs to manage the
DNS stuff that is possible (any volunteers -- Harald?).

Anyway, I would appreciate people sharing their thoughts about how to make
the Sage project more organized with respect to key people vanishing --
either temporarily or permantly -- from the project.  If you have relevant
experience with other projects, or no of good articles about this sort of
thing, etc., please share.

Thanks!

   -- William

--