On Jul 30, 10:47 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I would appreciate people sharing their thoughts about how to make
> the Sage project more organized with respect to key people vanishing --
> either temporarily or permantly -- from the project.

Well, I'm inclined to think you need less organization, not more.

The current situation in the Maxima project is that we have
multiple administrators, multiple mailing list moderators, and
no assigned project roles. (Well, not many. We have a webmaster.)
We don't have a formal code review process. Or a project
goal statement, for that matter.

The advantage of this kind of disorganization is that the
presence or absence of any one person doesn't matter
so much. I'm the only active project administrator but if
I disappeared the others can take over, or if they don't want
to, they're already empowered to make someone else an
administrator.

Incidentally, project administrators are just bureaucrats;
they don't set policy or make decisions or stuff like that.
Decisions are made informally by discussion on the mailing
list. We don't have any formal policies.

I find this kind of disorganization quite comfortable;
I don't have any trouble figuring out what to do,
and, I guess, neither do the other participants.
We get a lot of work done. It's a great project.

FWIW

Robert Dodier