Jason Moxham wrote:

> Hi
>
> So are you saying that the compilers on T2 are broken in 64bit mode ? or just
> sage is broken ? or just mpir ? or dont we know?
>
> I remember testing  ABI=32bit before and it passed , but as T2 is a 64bit
> machine , I regarded this as not exactly what we want  , we want 64bit
> goodness :)
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Currently the focus on Sage it so build it in 32-bit on Solaris, not
64-bit. Ultimately, 64-bit would be the goal. The GNU compilers are
generally reckoned to present more problems on 64-bit SPARC than on
32-bit. Hence initially, we don't intend using 64-bit. I think the plan
is basically

1) Get it building reliably in 32-bit mode with gcc.
2) Works towards 64-bit and Sun compilers (not sure what order these
will come).

Inside Sage, 'ABI=32' is used as a configure option on Solaris. Look at
spkg-install and you will see:

build()
{

     SAGE_CONF_OPTS="--enable-shared --disable-static"
     case $UNAME in

     SunOS)
         if [ "$SAGE64" = "yes" ]; then
             echo "Building 64 bit Solaris version"
             ABI=64
         else
             ABI=32
         fi;;

     Darwin)

So far, no serious attempt at been made at 64-bit and I suspect that
would bring a lot more problems, especially while the GNU compiler is
used. But too many things would break if we switched to the Sun compiler.

Dave