I need some guidance on what do about some issues we have. I'll
summarise, since not everyone is going to be aware of them.

1) Sage will not build on Solaris SPARC due to issues in the latest
official ecl. (It is not the only issue, but is one of them).

2) The ecl developers have solved that, and there is a CVS snapshot
which builds ecl ok on Solaris. A new ecl release will be out in less
than a week.

3) I created a ecl.spkg, based on a snapshot I took yesterday, which
allows ecl to build on Solaris.

I put it at

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/ecl-9.4.1.p0/ecl-9.4.1.p0.spkg

4) We are not using the latest maxima. (Sage uses 5.16.3 with a couple
of patches (maxima-5.16.3.p2.spkg)

5) The latest maxima is maxima-5.18.1

6) The problem persists in the latest maxima.

7) An ecl devoper has created patches against the latest maxima in cvs.

Have you any thoughts on the best way to progress this? We have several
options.

1) Do nothing, in which case Sage will not build on Solaris SPARC.

2) Wait a week for a new official ecl which will allow ecl to build on
Solaris. That has one big problem  - Maxima will fail on all platforms.

3) Use CVS snapshots of both ecl and maxima, then apply the patches to
maxima developed by the ecl developer. That should (though I have not
tested it) allow Sage to use an ecl/maxima combination which works on
every platform, including Solaris.

But it would not be based on stable releases, but CVS copies of both
maxima and ecl which are patched. A bit risky I think.

4) Wait a week or so to get a new official ecl, use that, along with
with the latest CVS of maxima and patch maxima.

5) I wait until we get a new ecl, I add that, and attempt to patch the
version of Maxima in Sage. Then leave it for someone who knows more
about maxima to decide what to do about any upgrading of maxima.

6) What might be best, if I could get the help of a maxima guru, is we
use the latest official maxima, apply the patches against the cvs
(hoping the maxima patches can be easily implemented. I suspect they
can, as there patches are quite small). Then I integrate a new ecl when
it comes out. Maxima will then work with the new ecl.

Any thoughts?