I just got a note on the ECL list that a new ECL (9.8.1) has been
released. This should fix the Solaris issues for us. It will however
break Maxima, but there is a patch I can apply to Maxima. The patch was
developed against the latest CVS of Maxima, but I could apply that.

But a new Maxima is going to released soon.

One immediate problem is that the ecl-9.8.1.tgz on the sourceforge web
site appears to be broken, as I can't extract it fully.

The output from gnu tar shows:

ecl-9.8.1/src/gmp/mpn/sparc32/v9/add_n.asm
ecl-9.8.1/src/gmp/mpn/sparc32/v9/addmul_1.asm
ecl-9.8.1/src/gmp/mpn/sparc32/v9/gmp-mparam.h
ecl-9.8.1/src/gmp/mpn/sparc32/v9/mul_1.asm

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
ecl-9.8.1/src/gmp/mpn/sparc32/v9/README
ecl-9.8.1/src/gmp/mpn/sparc32/v9/sqr_diagonal.asm
gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive
gtar: Unexpected EOF in archive
gtar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Assuming that gets resolved quickly (and I assume it will), shall I make
a new ECL and patch Maxima? Both would have to be committed into Sage at
the same time, as putting ECL without Maxima would result in a failure
of Maxima, which has been acknowledged by the Maxima developers as a bug.

Dave