On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 10:48:01 +0100
"Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> I just got a note on the ECL list that a new ECL (9.8.1) has been
> released. This should fix the Solaris issues for us. It will however
> break Maxima, but there is a patch I can apply to Maxima. The patch
> was developed against the latest CVS of Maxima, but I could apply
> that.
>
> But a new Maxima is going to released soon.

IIRC, updating to a new Maxima release is not trivial. We are still
using Maxima 5.16.3 for this purpose. See #4841 for some of mabshoff's
efforts.

It would be great if we could coordinate with the Maxima developers so
the new release doesn't cause problems for us. AFAIK, nobody is taking
the time to report issues we see in Maxima upstream. Luckily, Robert
Dodier responds to some of them on the Sage lists.

An spkg with the latest Maxima CVS would make it very easy to test what
possible issues we'll face with the new release. A script to pull the
code from the CVS, build it and install it into Sage would be even
better. :)

Here is a list of some tickets on trac that might be relevant:

#6165 [with patch (spkg), needs work] new maxima spkg that enhances
      eigenvector results so they can be useable from symbolics

#6228 Wrong multiplicities when solving a univariate polynomial equation

? #6231 Solving a system of equations ignores multiplicities

#2617 solve() can return undefined points as "solutions"

fixed in maxima? #780 calculus integration failing due to maxima
     interacting when it shouldn't

#3718 calculus -- sage treats limits involving floor and ceil
     completely wrong

#3732 Additional examples of maxima interactions in calculus leading to
     errors

#3745 calculus -- bugs in solve

#4142 limit bug: should be -Infinity, but gives +Infinity

#6515 assume doesn't interact well with solve

Cheers,
Burcin