On Aug 11, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> I gather that what gcc works on OS X depends on many things. Can
> anyone
> be precise about exactly what works and what does not? I can do some
> semi-sensible testing in a configure script if I knew what was wanted,
> but I don't.
>
> I have at this point put a test in for gcc version
>
> minimum_gcc_version="4.0.1"
>
>     # Exit if the version of GCC is known to be too old
>      AS_VERSION_COMPARE([$GCC_VERSION], [$minimum_gcc_version],[
>          AC_MSG_WARN([GCC $GCC_VERSION is too old and can not build
> AC_PACKAGE_NAME. Please use])
>          AC_MSG_WARN([a gcc of at least $minimum_gcc_version. )])
>          AC_MSG_ERROR([Exiting due to the use of a version of GCC that
> is too old])
>      ], [],[])
>

> But from what I gather, having 4.0.1 on OS X is no guarantee of
> success.

IIRC, 4.0.1 is the latest (default) compiler that ships with OS X,
and it seems to work for a lot of us.

> The best thing to do would be to check for particular compiler
> features,
> rather than versions, as that is more portable. But from a practical
> point of view, I doubt anyone know what feature is missing in older
> versions on OS X this is needed.

The "missing features" is 4.0.0 (vs 4.0.1) are a pile of bugfixes.
Sage exposes a lot of bugs in 4.0.0 but compiles fine with 4.0.1.

IIRC, the 3.4+ was for sufficient c99 support, but someone else
probably knows better.

- Robert