2009/8/12 William Stein <wst...@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Robert
> Bradshaw<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>>
>>> I gather that what gcc works on OS X depends on many things. Can
>>> anyone
>>> be precise about exactly what works and what does not? I can do some
>>> semi-sensible testing in a configure script if I knew what was wanted,
>>> but I don't.
>>>
>>> I have at this point put a test in for gcc version
>>>
>>> minimum_gcc_version="4.0.1"
>>>
>>>     # Exit if the version of GCC is known to be too old
>>>      AS_VERSION_COMPARE([$GCC_VERSION], [$minimum_gcc_version],[
>>>          AC_MSG_WARN([GCC $GCC_VERSION is too old and can not build
>>> AC_PACKAGE_NAME. Please use])
>>>          AC_MSG_WARN([a gcc of at least $minimum_gcc_version. )])
>>>          AC_MSG_ERROR([Exiting due to the use of a version of GCC that
>>> is too old])
>>>      ], [],[])
>>>

>>> But from what I gather, having 4.0.1 on OS X is no guarantee of
>>> success.
>>
>> IIRC, 4.0.1 is the latest (default) compiler that ships with OS X,
>> and it seems to work for a lot of us.
>
> Where were some reports you may have missed oon sage-*f many default
> builds of 4.0.1 for OS X *not* working if one upgrades to the latest
> version of OS X.  One needs a relatively recent version of XCode.
>

>>> The best thing to do would be to check for particular compiler
>>> features,
>>> rather than versions, as that is more portable. But from a practical
>>> point of view, I doubt anyone know what feature is missing in older
>>> versions on OS X this is needed.
>>

>> The "missing features" is 4.0.0 (vs 4.0.1) are a pile of bugfixes.
>> Sage exposes a lot of bugs in 4.0.0 but compiles fine with 4.0.1.
>>
>> IIRC, the 3.4+ was for sufficient c99 support, but someone else
>> probably knows better.
>
> Yes, it was.  But when Robert Miller included Stoll's ratpoints spkg,
> sage suddenly no longer built with 3.4.
>
> William

Do you know what feature is needed that some older XCodes will not
have? If for example, the reason older ones would not work as the
sizeof(long long) was not 8, then I could check for that.

Would someone on OS X running gcc >=4.0.2 need to update Xcode?

In the absence of better information, I could just put a warning on OS
X that using the latest Xcode is strong advised, with a link to
http://developer.apple.com/TOOLS/Xcode/