On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Robert
Bradshaw<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>
>> I gather that what gcc works on OS X depends on many things. Can
>> anyone
>> be precise about exactly what works and what does not? I can do some
>> semi-sensible testing in a configure script if I knew what was wanted,
>> but I don't.
>>
>> I have at this point put a test in for gcc version
>>
>> minimum_gcc_version="4.0.1"
>>
>>     # Exit if the version of GCC is known to be too old
>>      AS_VERSION_COMPARE([$GCC_VERSION], [$minimum_gcc_version],[
>>          AC_MSG_WARN([GCC $GCC_VERSION is too old and can not build
>> AC_PACKAGE_NAME. Please use])
>>          AC_MSG_WARN([a gcc of at least $minimum_gcc_version. )])
>>          AC_MSG_ERROR([Exiting due to the use of a version of GCC that
>> is too old])
>>      ], [],[])
>>

>> But from what I gather, having 4.0.1 on OS X is no guarantee of
>> success.
>
> IIRC, 4.0.1 is the latest (default) compiler that ships with OS X,
> and it seems to work for a lot of us.

Where were some reports you may have missed oon sage-*f many default
builds of 4.0.1 for OS X *not* working if one upgrades to the latest
version of OS X.  One needs a relatively recent version of XCode.

>> The best thing to do would be to check for particular compiler
>> features,
>> rather than versions, as that is more portable. But from a practical
>> point of view, I doubt anyone know what feature is missing in older
>> versions on OS X this is needed.
>

> The "missing features" is 4.0.0 (vs 4.0.1) are a pile of bugfixes.
> Sage exposes a lot of bugs in 4.0.0 but compiles fine with 4.0.1.
>
> IIRC, the 3.4+ was for sufficient c99 support, but someone else
> probably knows better.

Yes, it was.  But when Robert Miller included Stoll's ratpoints spkg,
sage suddenly no longer built with 3.4.

William