Thanks Dr Stein, your ideas bring into focus what I was trying to
address.

> With 1-4 above, I could typeset 100% correctly absolutely any latex
> document with no funny business, but would have Sage I/O nicely
> integrated in the document.   I could chose to ignore the pdf preview,
> or look at it when I want to.

With #1-4 in place for locally-running Sage, I'd hope the Notebook
would still have the capacity to render some text cells in html (from
latex), leave others in plain latex text, and of course letting non-
Latex users retain FCKeditor. Ideally obtaining a nicely typeset pdf
from sagenb.com would be as easy as publishing a worksheet on
sagenb.com (one of the most outstanding features of Sage), with a
single underlying worksheet.

This might be better explained below.

> Anyway, I'm guessing part of the point of this discussion is that some
> people see that the Sage notebook could have an additional broader
> role as a different kind of Latex editing environment (different than
> say Lyx or Texmacs or Emacs).

I too see a couple of threads interwoven here.

First (for programmers), Notebook is already literate-programming-in-a-
browser for me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming). I
use the text cells to write out in detail what's going on in rich
formatting, and weave Sage cells throughout to do the computation &
explain the results. However, in Knuth-orthodox literate programming,
the text cells would be in Latex, because 1) Latex has powerful ways
to handle complexity of large documents, and 2) the final product can
then be a typeset document, not just a webpage (this distinction is I
think going to get less unimportant in the future---nicely typeset
papers are just as easy for me to read or print out as Sage published
worksheets). So it could become more geared

And second (for technical authors), Notebook could become a standard
Latex editor on steroids: it could be a Gmail of Latexing (in-browser
so cross-platform; automatic backups if used on a professionally-
adminned server); your Latex is automatically version-controlled; you
can embed generated Sage results (equations, plots, etc.) in your
document, and if you choose, include the source to generate them, so
readers can easily check that the results aren't fake (you also
wouldn't have to deal with saving and maintaining static eps/pngs).

Best,
Ahmed