Hi,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM, William Stein<wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Ondrej Certik<ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

>> well, I would interpret it differently:
>>
>> int f(x) d(x^2)  = int f(x) 2 x dx
>>                     = 2 integrate(x*f(x),x)
>
> That's exactly what I meant.  I was just being very sloppy because I
> was in a hurry.  The point is that "int f(x) d(x^2)  = int f(x) 2 x
> dx" seems very reasonable.    We could easily make Sage use this
> interpretation even though Maxima doesn't.  It woud be an additional
> 2-3 lines of code in calculus.py.
>
> I am equally for either:
>
> (1) raising an error like Mathematica does
> and
> (2) Use the interpretation that Ondrej and I agree upon above.
>
> I favor (1) a little bit more than (2), because it's clear that there
> is some confusion over this issue

Hmm, could you please clarify a bit? When you say "raise an error"
do you mean

(A) (damn the user!!)
-------
sage: integrate( sin(x), x^2)
TypeError: blah.. blah...
-------

or (B) (leave it symbolic)
-------
sage: integrate(f(x), x^2)
integrate( sin(x), x^2)
-------

(A) will have some bad consequences like

-----
sage: h =  sin(x) + integrate( sin(x), x)
sage: h.subs(x==2*x)
sin(2*x) - cos(2*x)
-----
will work but
-----
sage: h =  sin(x) + integrate( sin(x)/x, x)
sage: h.subs(x==2*x)
TypeError: .....
-----

It would be bad if we don't allow even constant scaling
of variable in the integration.

I guess, there are no ambiguity when it is an expression
containing single variable and we should process it as you
and Ondrej suggested. For other cases, we leave
it symbolic as Robert (Dodier) suggested.

Cheers,
Golam