Hi!

On Aug 21, 12:13 pm, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't object much but I wonder if variable output should always
> be tested and I don't know how to test the banner display. If this is
> not voted for, I would like to see this as an option to the "version"
> command.

It is indeed not nice if the user has to do "cat /etc/issue", "cat /
proc/cpuinfo", "cat /proc/meminfo", "gcc --version" and so on (or
whatever the relevant commands are on different platforms) before
submitting a help request.

Perhaps a function "get_help()" (or "help()") could print a link to
sage-support, could print the needed technical data, *and* could print
a brief introduction on how to post a good request (i.e., odds are
that we understand what the user means):

"""
Please contact the sage-support list (http://...)
It will usually help to answer your request if you cut-and-paste the
following information:
sage version: ...
gcc version: ...
processor(s): ...
Try to be explicit, i.e., provide a code snipped reproducing the
problem that you encounter.
Avoid flame baits.
"""

However, I am not so sure if I want to see all technical data when
starting sage. Imagine how this would look on sage.math -- would it
list all 24 processors?

Cheers,
Simon