Hi David,

On Aug 21, 5:54 pm, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> 2009/8/21 Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie>:
[...]
> I don't see anything wrong with '24 CPUs'

Sure, '24 CPUs' is short enough. But by "listing all 24 CPUs", I mean
something like the output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo", which really is
quite long.

I am +1 concerning a command, say, system_info().

As Craig said, a system_info() command will come in handy not only
when submitting a help request. But to be helpful in scripts, it
should probably not just print something on screen, but return a
dictionary D, where
 - D['CPU'] is a list of strings describing each CPU
 - D['gcc'] is the gcc version
 - D['version'] is the sage version
and so on, or something in that style.

And adding the function name to the banner is OK, I think.

Cheers,
Simon