On Aug 21, 8:17 am, Craig Citro <craigci...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps a function "get_help()" (or "help()") could print a link to
> > sage-support, could print the needed technical data, *and* could print
> > a brief introduction on how to post a good request (i.e., odds are
> > that we understand what the user means):
>
> I much prefer something along these lines to any extra information in
> the banner. Maybe even just call it something like "system_summary"
> and suggest people include that info in any requests to sage-support.

Two things: right now, "help()" starts up the Python help system,
which might be a little disconcerting to unsuspecting users.   So it
might be a good idea for "help()" to do something else.  Is there a
way to access the Sage documentation (other than introspection) from
the command line?  Second, maybe we could change the banner to say
something like

  Type notebook() for the GUI, system_info() for ..., and license()
for licensing information.

We want to keep it short, but I wouldn't object to listing one more
command.  How important is it to include the "license" command in the
banner, as long as it's prominently available elsewhere?  It might be
more helpful to include "notebook" and a help command of some sort, if
one existed.

John