William Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM,
> Juanjo<juanjose.garciarip...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 28, 3:01 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Using the first release of Solaris 10 should iron out any other
>>> portability issues, since perhaps our build process makes some
>>> assumptions about Solaris 10 which are not valid in the initial release.
>> You also mentioned that the setup in this machine would be
>> intentionally less polished (i.e. GNU make is not default, and other
>> things you set up for T2). Would it be possible to evolve the T2 setup
>> towards something more out-of-the-box? Or is it unrealistic to build
>> all Sage components without tweaking the installation of a standard
>> Solaris system?

An interesting question.

Doing this on 't2' so it affects everyone (i.e. the global zone) would
be a nightmare, as nobody would build Sage. They would lack the tools
they need, like a recent gcc.

However, if you personally would find that useful on 't2', I could
easily create you a new account, with a different user name to do this.
To do this as realistically as possible, you would need a new home
directory, then set the environment as you see fit. Let me know if that
would be useful - it will only take me a few minutes to do.

There would be some things available to you, like the Sun compilers in
/opt/SUNWspro, which would not normally be available on a new system.

To set up a more realistic 'out of the box' setup, it would be necessary
to create a zone for this.

> Also, would it be possible to install Solaris 10 version 1 in a
> "Solaris Zone" on T2 so that it would be always one, etc.?  (I don't
> even know if that makes sense.)

No, that would not be possible.

Solaris zones uses the same kernel as the 'global zone'. When you
install a zone, you do not need any operating system disks. Necessary
files are copies from the global zone. Zones do not have the
independence that programs like virtual box provide.

As I pointed out before, virtualbox does not run on SPARC/

Nor would it be possible to run 't2' on the first release of Solaris 10
- the minimum supported version of that hardware is later than the March
2005 release of Solaris.

If you wanted to set up a machine like this, it would almost certainly
have to be done using a used server, as I very much doubt anything
currently sold new by Sun would run on that release of Solaris 10.

dave