On Aug 29, 12:21 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
> William Stein wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM,
> > Juanjo<juanjose.garciarip...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> You also mentioned that the setup in this machine would be
> >> intentionally less polished (i.e. GNU make is not default, and other
> >> things you set up for T2). Would it be possible to evolve the T2 setup
> >> towards something more out-of-the-box? Or is it unrealistic to build
> >> all Sage components without tweaking the installation of a standard
> >> Solaris system?
>
> An interesting question.
>
> Doing this on 't2' so it affects everyone (i.e. the global zone) would
> be a nightmare, as nobody would build Sage. They would lack the tools
> they need, like a recent gcc.
>
> However, if you personally would find that useful on 't2', I could
> easily create you a new account, with a different user name to do this.
> To do this as realistically as possible, you would need a new home
> directory, then set the environment as you see fit. Let me know if that
> would be useful - it will only take me a few minutes to do.
>
> There would be some things available to you, like the Sun compilers in
> /opt/SUNWspro, which would not normally be available on a new system.
>
> To set up a more realistic 'out of the box' setup, it would be necessary
> to create a zone for this.
>
> > Also, would it be possible to install Solaris 10 version 1 in a
> > "Solaris Zone" on T2 so that it would be always one, etc.?  (I don't
> > even know if that makes sense.)
>
> No, that would not be possible.
>
> Solaris zones uses the same kernel as the 'global zone'. When you
> install a zone, you do not need any operating system disks. Necessary
> files are copies from the global zone. Zones do not have the
> independence that programs like virtual box provide.

You're right, but if you have a branded zone, you can install the OS
from some other source.  There are already some branded zones for
solaris 8 and solaris 9 (and linux), so it probably wouldn't be much
of a stretch to get one for solaris 10:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/containers/
Of course it probably would be better if Sun just provided this as is,
and they probably will down the road once "Solaris 11" or whatever the
next major release is called becomes finalized.