> Currently, the ordering of a ring is determined by a string "name":
> TermOrder.__init__(self, name='lex', n = 0, blocks=True)
> respectively "order": PolynomialRing(base_ring, arg1=None, arg2=None,
> sparse=False, order='degrevlex', names=None, name=None,
> implementation=None)

> Of course, it seems natural to define a matrix ordering by passing a
> matrix:
>   sage: M = Matrix(2,2, [1,3,1,0])
>   sage: R.<x,y> = PolynomialRing(QQ,2,order=M)
>
> But it is perhaps not so nice to break compatibility with the current
> way of defining an ordering by strings.
>
> Closer to Singular syntax would be
>   sage: R.<x,y> = PolynomialRing(QQ,2,order='M(1,3,1,0)')

Think this would be rather un-pythonic: converting an object into a string
instead of using it directly.

> But what about block orderings? If one allows a matrix ordering to be
> defined by a matrix, then I guess the blocks should be listed:
>   sage: P.<a,b,c,d,e> = PolynomialRing(QQ,5,order=[M,'degrevlex'])

Have you seen this?

sage: TermOrder('deglex',3) + TermOrder('degrevlex',2)
deglex(3),degrevlex(2) term order

> Or, if one goes with strings:
>   sage: P.<a,b,c,d,e> = PolynomialRing(QQ,5,order='M(1,3,1,0),degrevlex
> (3)'])

I would like to avoid this string business as much as possible. I find it
rather ugly (that's personal taste of course)

Cheers,
Martin

--
name: Martin Albrecht