Hi Martin!

On Sep 4, 12:33 pm, Martin Albrecht <m...@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
wrote:
[...]
> > But it is perhaps not so nice to break compatibility with the current
> > way of defining an ordering by strings.
>
> > Closer to Singular syntax would be
> >   sage: R.<x,y> = PolynomialRing(QQ,2,order='M(1,3,1,0)')
>
> Think this would be rather un-pythonic: converting an object into a string
> instead of using it directly.

I agree -- I don't like to use strings either. My suggestion "order='M
(1,3,1,0)'" was only in an attempt to provide compatibility with the
status quo, which is to define the ordering by a string, or by a
TermOrder object.

> Have you seen this?
>
> sage: TermOrder('deglex',3) + TermOrder('degrevlex',2)
> deglex(3),degrevlex(2) term order

Yes, but in fact I forgot about it. Reason: In most of the examples,
the term ordering of a polynomial ring is given by a string, rather
than first defining a TermOrder object.

Anyway, I agree that
 sage: M = Matrix(2,2, [1,3,1,0])
 sage: P.<a,b,c,d,e> = PolynomialRing(QQ,5,order=TermOrder(M)+TermOrder
('degrevlex',3))
is a good solution.

Best regards,
Simon